Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sen Barack Obama Wins SC Primary

It was a big night for Barack Obama. Here's his victory speech from Columbia South Carolina.


(transcript) Watch the second part here. And here's the vote breakdown from CNN and MSNBC.

Caroline Kennedy with her father, John F. KennedyBarack Obama also got an incredible endorsement from Caroline Kennedy in tomorrow's NYT:

A President Like My Father

OVER the years, I’ve been deeply moved by the people who’ve told me they wished they could feel inspired and hopeful about America the way people did when my father was president. This sense is even more profound today. That is why I am supporting a presidential candidate in the Democratic primaries, Barack Obama. [...]

I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans. (read the whole thing)
Wow. Just. Wow.

It was a huge night for the Democratic Party too in a red state. As Sullivan points out from his readers:
In last week's SC GOP primary, McCain and Huckabee (the top 2 finishers), got 147,283 and 132,440 votes respectively. That's a total of 279,723. Obama just pulled down 291,000 by himself. Here's the data. [...]

This ... shows that George W Bush is a uniter after all: People are so fucking frustrated that even rednecks are willing to give a black guy a chance.
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. If the Democrats can bring almost 20% more voters total to the polls than the Republican Party in a solidly red state like SC then that spells really bad news for Republicans come Nov. With the flood of GOP incumbents retiring leaving 4 times as many GOP open seats in the House and the fact that 22 of the 34 Senate races this year are currently held by Republicans, the deck was already heavily stacked against them.

[Late update] Or rather, late Red State Update: Obama Beats Hillary In South Carolina
lmao